- 1 lb chicken meat breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce, or as needed
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons Asian sesame seed oil
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 – 2 red peppers as desired
- 1 10-fluid ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts (or fresh water chestnuts, peeled and sliced)
- 3/4 cup chow mein noodles
Preparation:Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry. Lightly rub the 1 teaspoon of soy sauce over the breasts (use more soy sauce if needed). Place the breasts on a roasting and cook for 45 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking. Remove the chicken and cool.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare the dressing and vegetables. In a small bowl, combine the rice vinegar, orange juice, light soy sauce, sugar and sesame seed oil. Refrigerate until needed.
Wash the lettuce, remove the core and shred the leaves. Remove the seeds from the red pepper and cut into thin strips.
Remove the cooked chicken and cool. Shred the chicken meat with your hands.
Pour the dressing into the bottom of a large salad bowl.
Add the lettuce and chicken, tossing with the dressing. Add the red peppers, water chestnuts and mandarin orange slices. Garnish with the chow mein noodles.
Sprinkle the sliced almonds or toasted sesame seeds on top if using.