- Soak corn in cold water for 15 mins. Heat a griddle pan or barbecue and, when hot, place the corn directly on the bars. Cook for 30-40 mins, turning regularly, until the corn is tender and charred in spots.
- Meanwhile, mash the butter with the lime zest and chili. When the cobs are done, top each with a knob of flavoured butter and serve with lime wedges.
For the steaks
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp concentrated liquid beef stock
3 garlic cloves, finely grated
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
6 sirloin steaks, about 5cm thick
salad or peas, to serve (optional)
For the wedges
1½ kg medium potatoes, such as King Edward, cut into wedges
3 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
1 tbsp thyme leaf
2 tsp green peppercorns, crushed
500g granary, strong wholewheat or white bread flour (I used granary)
7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp clear honey
- Tip the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl and mix together with your hands. Stir 300ml hand-hot water with the oil and honey, then stir into the dry ingredients to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 mins, until the dough no longer feels sticky, sprinkling with a little more flour if you need it.
- Oil the loaf tin and put the dough in the tin, pressing it in evenly. Put in a large plastic food bag and leave to rise for 1 hr, until the dough has risen to fill the tin and it no longer springs back when you press it with your finger.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Make several slashes across the top of the loaf with a sharp knife, then bake for 30-35 mins until the loaf is risen and golden. Tip it out onto a cooling rack and tap the base of the bread to check it is cooked. It should sound hollow. Leave to cool.
300g couscous or bulghar wheat
1 tbsp olive oil
100g feta cheese, crumbled
20g pack parsley, chopped
juice 1 lemon
- Cook the couscous or bulghar wheat in vegetable stock according to pack instructions. Trim the ends off the courgettes, then cut into slices.
- Heat a griddle pan or grill. Drizzle the courgette slices with oil, then season. Cook for 2 mins, then turn over and cook 1-2 mins more until softened and golden brown. Tip into a large bowl along with the cooked couscous or bulghar wheat, then mix through the remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature.
250ml vegetable stock, boiling
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1-2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
300g courgettes, sliced on the slant
300g small vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
250g pack halloumi cheese, thickly sliced and then halved lengthways
For the dressing
125ml olive oil
3 tbsp lime juice
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
½ tsp sugar
140g frozen broad beans, podded if you want
2 sirloin or rump steaks, weighing about 450g/1lb in total
1 tbsp olive oil, for brushing
200g medium cheddar, grated
8 flour tortillas
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
2 tbsp chopped coriander
salsa, to serve (optional
- Half-fill a ridged pan or frying pan with water, bring to the boil, then cook the beans for 1 min before draining. Dry the pan.
- Brush steaks with oil and season. Fry in the pan over a high heat for 2-3 mins on each side, then thinly slice.
- Divide the cheese over one half of each tortilla, then top with the steak, broad beans, jalapeños, tomato and coriander. Fold over the other half of the tortilla to make 8 half-moon shapes and press down to seal. Brush the tops with a little more oil.
- Heat the frying pan over a high heat and cook the quesadillas, oiled-side down, in batches for 1-2 mins until crisp. Brush the uncooked sides with remaining oil, then carefully flip over and cook for 1-2 mins more. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa, if you like.
2 tbsp cornflour
vegetable oil, for deep frying
24 large king prawns, peeled and deveined, with tails
pea shoots or baby salad leaves, to serve (optional)
For the spice mix
1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
4 black peppercorns
2 tbsp sea salt flakes
large pinch of chilli flakes
For the dipping sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
2 tbsp caster sugar
juice 3 limes
1 tbsp fish sauce