- 500g strong white bread flour
- 7g sachet/1½ tsp fast-action yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 25g soft butter
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- handful thyme leaves
Cooking timePrep: 20 mins Cook: 30 mins Plus rising
ServingsCuts into 12 squares
- Measure the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl. Mix 300ml hand-hot water with the oil and honey in a jug, then pour into the dry mix, stirring all the time to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, then knead for 5 mins until the dough no longer feels sticky, sprinkling with a little more flour as you need it. Now stretch it to fit the Swiss roll tin.
- Mix the garlic with the butter, then dot over the dough. Sprinkle over the cheese and snip over the thyme. Cover the bread with lightly oiled cling film, then leave in a warm place to rise for 40 mins.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Remove the cling film, then bake the bread for 30 mins until golden and risen. Leave to cool for 10 mins, then cut into 12 pieces and serve.
- Thai chicken and sweet potato soup
- 1 tsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2cm chunk root ginger, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bashed
- 1 x 25g pack coriander, leaves and stalks chopped separately
- 2 tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 750ml chicken stock (made with 2 stock cubes)
- 1 small can (160ml) coconut cream
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- crusty bread, to serve (optional)
- Prep: 5 minsCook: 30 mins
- Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, chilli, ginger, lemongrass, coriander stalks and curry paste and cook for 2 - 3 minutes until the aromas are released.
- Add the chicken stock, coconut cream and sweet potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Remove the lemongrass and discard. Carefully transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth. If freezing, for best results freeze at this point, otherwise as an easier option freeze complete recipe.
- Return to the saucepan, add the chicken and cook gently for 5 - 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir through the lime juice, sugar and fish sauce, scatter with the coriander leaves and serve.
Sweet potato & chicken curry
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless chicken thigh fillets, each cut into large chunks
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp rogan josh curry paste
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 125g spinach
Cooking timePrep: 10 mins Cook: 20 mins
- Cook the sweet potatoes in boiling, salted water for 5-7 mins until just tender. Drain well, then set aside. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan, then add the chicken and onion. Cook for 5-6 mins until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Stir in the curry paste, cook for 1 min, add the tomatoes, then cook for another min.
- Pour in 100ml boiling water and mix well. Simmer for 5 mins, add the spinach, then cook for 2 mins until wilted. Fold in the potatoes and heat through. Serve with rice and naan breads.